A wrist watch is one of the pieces of jewelry men wear. These timepieces reflect their lifestyle and personality. For some men, choosing a watch is akin to selecting the right cigar. Size, cost, shape and style are the main considerations. The thing is, a great watch can last for many generations, while a cigar will not.
Are you thinking of buying a new watch? There are tons of men’s watches in Malaysia, but few
timepiece models would meet your expectations and preferences. Below are some of the factors you should consider when picking a new one.
1. Watch movements
- LID, or Lithium-iodine batteries. Has an amorphous silicon solar cell behind the dial. A watch powered by this can run from 30 days to 9 years without charging.
- Eco drive movement Thermo. This watch utilizes the temperature on the wearer’s arm, as well as the surroundings, as a power source.
- Automatic and manual mechanical chronographer. This must be automatically or manually wound through the wrist’s natural motion.
- Quartz chronographer. Battery powered.
- Kinetic or automatic quartz. Its timing element mixes a self-winding rotor mechanism in order to produce electricity.
The more quality, movement, workmanship and features the watch have, the more expensive it is. This is the reason why the average Rolex watch costs a lot more than the usual Timex. It’s up to you whether or not you are willing to pay for a huge price.
Do you want to buy a watch for everyday wear? Timepieces usually come in 3 primary styles– sports, designer and dress.
Dress watches have plenty of thin cases, gold detail and thick markings. Designer watches, on the other hand, can be of any size or shape.
If you are a fitness enthusiast, go for sports watches. These timepieces are bigger in size, water resistant, luminous markings, glowing hands and bezels.
4. Brand names
Do you want to own a Patek Philippe, Cartier, Rolex, Breitling or Tag Heuer watch someday?
These are top brands that you should take into account if you want a watch that will last long.
However, don’t depend your purchase on name alone. Research on the watch that you want extensively. Take your time in reading about every manufacturer.